Making Sure You and Your Baby Have Everything You Need After Labor and Delivery
The following are some suggestions for things you may wish to bring to the hospital:
- Birth Preference List
- Insurance card, photo ID, and any hospital paperwork you need
- Eyeglasses, if you need any. Even if you usually wear contacts, you'll probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.
- A bathrobe, nightgown, slippers, and a couple of pairs of socks
- Light reading materials
- Relaxing items (massage oils or lotions, music, extra pillows)
- Picture of someone or something you love (focal point)
- A camera and/or video camera
- Nightgown, if you prefer to wear your own
- Nursing bra (usually necessary only for support), breast pads, and maternity underwear
- Cell phone and charger, so you can share your exciting news and photos with friends and family
- Going-home outfit for the transition home. Bring something roomy and easy to get into — along with a pair of comfortable, flat shoes.
- Infant car seat. You can't drive your baby home without one. Also, you'll want to have the seat properly installed ahead of time, and know how to correctly buckle in your baby.
- A picture-taking outfit, since your baby may be photographed in the hospital.
- Going-home outfit (include socks if the outfit doesn't have feet)
- Receiving blanket
- Diaper Bag