Scheduled C-Section at the Childbirth Center
We are delighted to assist you during this special time. There are a few things you will need to know before your scheduled cesarean section.
The American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that scheduled cesarean sections not be performed before 39 weeks gestation, unless medically indicated.
Pre-register for your birthing experience at mobapbaby.org or by calling 314-996-5170.
You will be contacted by a member of your birthing team approximately two days prior to your scheduled cesarean section to review pre-admission instructions.
- You may eat up to eight (8) hours prior to your scheduled cesarean section.
- You may drink water up to three (3) hours prior to your scheduled cesarean section.
- Non-diabetic women are encouraged to drink up to 16 ounces of a clear carbohydrate beverage, such as Gatorade® or pulp-free apple juice, three (3) hours prior to surgery.
- Shower with an antibacterial soap either the night before or the morning of your scheduled delivery.
- Please remove all jewelry and piercing prior to showering.
- Do not shave 24 hours prior to arrival.
- Please check with your physician for specific day of surgery instructions regarding any prescription medication you take routinely.
- Please arrive two hours prior to your scheduled delivery.
- There are designated parking spaces for expectant parents on the first level of Building D (North Entry) parking garage. Take garage elevators to the lobby. Proceed across the lobby and take the elevators to Floor 3, where Labor and Delivery is located.
- You will be greeted by registration and then escorted to your room by your nurse.
- Your labor and delivery nurse will then begin your admission history and assessment.
- Preparations for your delivery will include your nurse assisting you with an antibacterial wipe and clipping the hair from just below the belly button to the pubic area. It will also include inserting an IV, drawing lab work, administering preoperative medications and a visit from an anesthesia provider to discuss your anesthesia options. An RN First Assistant will visit with you prior to the delivery to greet you and answer any questions you may have. A surgical hat will be placed over your hair before you enter the operating room.
- Your birth partner will be asked to change into scrubs prior to entering into the OR suite. He/she will also be provided with a surgical hat, mask and shoe covers.
In the Operating Room:
- Cesarean births are usually done under spinal anesthesia. Once in the operating suite, your anesthesia provider will administer spinal anesthesia, and a Foley catheter will be placed to drain the urine from your bladder.
- Stockings will be applied to your lower legs to promote circulation and prevent blood clots.
- Your abdomen will be prepped for your delivery.
- The surgery will take approximately one hour.
- Once the procedure is complete, the baby will be placed in your arms, or skin-to-skin, as you move together as a new family to recovery.
Download a PDF copy of these instructions.
For your convenience, plan for your visit using our hospital bag checklist or by downloading the MoBap delivery planner from the Apple app store.
We look forward to meeting you and helping you welcome your new baby into the world. If you have any questions, please call Labor and Delivery at 314-996-7514.