Preparing for a Scheduled Induction at MoBap
If you have gone past your due date or you and your baby are ready, your doctor may schedule you for an induction, where you will be given medication to start your labor. On the day of your induction, you are admitted to a birth suite, where your doctor and nurses will administer an IV and connect you to a fetal heart monitor. Then, they will add Pitocin – a labor-inducing hormone – into your IV. Your contractions will begin shortly thereafter, increasing gradually until you are in active labor.
Note that unless medically necessary for your health or your baby's health, inductions are not done prior to your 39th week of pregnancy. We follow this policy at MoBap (also recommended by the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) for the health of your baby.
Preparing for Induction
- Please eat a light meal before you come in for your induction. This will give you some energy for your exciting day. Keeping it on the lighter side is important since you may experience some nausea during labor.
- Please call 314.996.7514 one hour before your scheduled induction time at and ask for the charge nurse. On occasion, we have several women in labor at one time and may need to delay your induction. Our priority is to keep any unanticipated wait to a minimum.
- Many women like to bring a favorite pillow from home to supplement those available in the hospital, and we encourage you to do so.
- For your convenience, plan for your visit using our hospital bag checklist or by downloading the MoBap delivery planner from the Apple app store.
- There are designated parking spaces for expectant parents on the first level of Building D (North Entry) parking garage. Take garage elevators to the lobby. Proceed across the lobby and take the elevators to Floor 3, where Labor and Delivery is located.
- You will be greeted by registration and then escorted to your room by your nurse.
- Please bring your insurance card and photo ID. Following delivery and recovery, you will move as a family to our Mother/Baby unit for the remainder of your stay. We look forward to meeting you and helping you welcome your new baby into the world!
- Download a PDF copy of these tips.
For more information on the labor and delivery options available at Missouri Baptist, call (314) 996-LIFE (5433) or toll-free (800) 392-0936, or email us.