New Parent Classes Specialize on Healthy Newborn Care
In this 90-minute class based on the work of renowned pediatrician Dr. Harvey Karp, parents will learn methods of calming and soothing their infants. Includes a parent kit - handouts, DVD and CD. Taught by Certified "Happiest Baby" educators. Perfect for both expectant parents and those with a newborn under 2 months of age.
The class includes didactic and hands-on instruction in the "5 S's":
- Swaddling: Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support your baby is used to experiencing within the womb.
- Side/stomach position: The infant is placed on their left side to assist in digestion, or on their stomach to provide reassuring support. “But never use the stomach position for putting your baby to sleep,” cautions Karp. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is linked to stomach-down sleep positions. When a baby is in a stomach down position do not leave them even for a moment.
- Shushing sounds: These imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb.
- Swinging: Newborns are used to the swinging motions within their mother’s womb, so entering the gravity driven world of the outside is like a sailor adapting to land after nine months at sea. “It’s disorienting and unnatural,” says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.
- Sucking: “Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system,” notes Karp, “and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain.”